If your dream vacation would consist of riding your downhill or xc mountain bike by day and then carousing in Las Vegas, Nevada at night, you’ll want to check out Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, Nevada.
Bootleg Canyon is about 33 miles from the heart of Las Vegas when traveling by car via I-215. Other nearby attractions and destinations include Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and Flightlinez Bootleg Canyon ziplining.
Bootleg Canyon offers spectacular mountain bike riding for both cross country and downhill mountain bikers. The scenery consists of a Mojave desert landscape including beautiful blue skies atop a nonstop expanse of rugged hills and mountains. When visiting Bootleg, you’ll enjoy fun and challenging technical singletrack with amazing scenery and bunches of different trails to choose from. Additionally, there are annual organized race events.
Cross Country Mountain Biking Trails at Bootleg Canyon
- Boy Scout
- East Leg
- Girl Scout
- Lake View
- Par None
Downhill MTB Trails at Bootleg Canyon
- Ona Lee
Bootleg Canyon Race Pictures From Past Events
In the past, we raced Bootleg, and we also blogged about the mountain bike races at Bootleg Canyon. You can see some of our photos here:
2017 Mountain Bike Racing at Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, Nevada
The 2017 Bootleg Canyon Winter Gravity Series includes several events, as follows:
- January 13 – 15, 2017 – Nevada State Gravity Championships: Downhill, Super D / Enduro and Dual Slalom mountain bike races. 1027 Canyon Road, Boulder City, NV 89005.
- February 10 – February 12, 2017 –Mob N Mojave: Downhill, Super D / Enduro and Dual Slalom mountain bike races.
- March 24 – March 26, 2017 — Reaper Madness: Downhill, Super D and Dual Slalom mountain bike races
Gear Up for Riding Bootleg Canyon
Downhillers, you’ll definitely want to have the following gear when you show up at Bootleg:
- Full-face helmet
- Camelbak and plenty of water to fill it with
- Downhill tires with tubes, because all the sharp rocks make it difficult to run tubeless. Make that two sets of tires, minimum. More is better – just in case. Flat tires are common on the terrain. Trust me, nothing will ruin your day faster than a flat in practice, right before your race, with no good replacement options. I was there, and it sucked.
- Body armor
- Food, energy bars, snacks.
Bootleg Canyon Weather
Bootleg Canyon is located in Boulder City, Nevada, which is in the Mojave desert. Generally, the weather in Bootleg Canyon is exactly what you’d expect to find in the desert — hot and dry during the day, and temperatures ranging from chilly to downright cold at night. Pack accordingly. You’ll for sure want to bring sweatshirts and / or jackets for evening wear, and your usual summertime cycling attire for daytime wear. Last time we were there the days were brutally hot, even in February.
During the summer months, Bootleg Canyon is typically too hot to ride during the days. Night rides, anyone?
Mountain Biking Skill Level
Be aware that even the “beginners’” trails at Bootleg Canyon are challenging. Intermediate and advanced riders are likely to get the most enjoyment out of riding Bootleg. There’s terrain available to satisfy even the most experienced of the experienced riders.
References and External Links: